WHAT’S THE POST ABOUT?
Risking their careers and their freedom, Katharine Graham (the first female publisher of a major American newspaper) and colleague Ben Bradlee race to keep up with The New York Times to expose a massive government cover-up. Pre-order it here.
IS IT ANY GOOD? (GRADE: A)
The Post may be set in the early 1970’s but don’t let that fool you into believing that the story isn’t relevant. Make no mistake it tells an important and timely story. It is a movie that strives to teach you to learn from history in order to prevent past mistakes, and it is admirably depicted.
Politics aside, the story itself is very well told. The pace and editing are excellent, as is the directing and acting. This movie marks the first time Steven Spielberg, Meryl Streep, and Tom Hanks have collaborated on a project, and they all do the story justice by presenting characters instead of caricatures, Illustrating the themes instead of preaching to the audience, and reminding the world that while we may have fought and won this battle before, the war may is never over. But then, with such and all-star trio, I don’t think anybody expected anything less.
At its very core this movie is a dedication to those who bring the truth to light, as well as the debt we all owe to them for the difficulty they have, and will continue, to face.
IS IT OKAY FOR YOUR FAMILY?
The Post is rated PG-13. Some things to be aware of:
- The opening scene is a battle taking place during the Vietnam War; explosions and gunshots are shown and people die on camera.
- There are several swear words including the f-word, s-word, hell, a-word, and the G-word.
- There are several scenes with adults drinking wine, champagne, and hard liquor at parties or receptions. Smoking is also present.
ANY WORTHWHILE MESSAGES?
- The truth is vital and precious, and should be fought for no matter the cost. (see John 8:32, 2 Corinthians 13:8, and “Truth: The Foundation of Correct Decisions” by Elder Richard G. Scott)
For movie night recommendations and Gospel discussion guides, order 250 Great Movies for Latter-day Families, available in paperback and Kindle.
Latest posts by Lindsi Neilson (see all)
- One Republic performs in Utah YSA Conference - September 21, 2023
- Utah YSA Conference holds a concert and invites top American DJ for dance night - September 21, 2023
- Korea abandons “cringy” dance social with dating app in YSA Conference - September 20, 2023
- Is the LDS Church phasing out Angel Moroni on temples? - June 28, 2023